Dr. Evan Michael Hess graduated from the University of Southern California with a B.A. in Religion with Departmental Honors and a B.A. in Political Science. He then graduated with a J.D. from the Hofstra University School of Law, where he was a Child and Family Advocacy Fellow and earned the school’s Gold Public Service Certificate. Additionally, Evan was a Bergstrom Child Welfare Law Fellow at the University of Michigan Law School. More recently, he earned his Doctor of Education Degree from the University of Southern California in Organizational Change and Leadership.
At Hofstra Law School, he served as the Managing Editor of Articles for the Family Court Review, as well as Executive Editor and Chairman of the Editorial Board for Out of Court Statements, the student news publication for the law school. Evan engaged in a range of community service and pro bono activities for which he garnered the school’s coveted Pro Bono Service Award of Excellence. His service includes three years as an Advocate and one year as Appeals Coordinator for the Unemployment Action Center, where he earned recognition as Advocate of the Year in his first year of advocacy.
Evan has served as a law clerk for the Los Angeles County Public Defender and the Los Angeles County District Attorney. In addition, his legal experiences include Internships for the Honorable Joseph F. Bianco, United States District Court Judge, and the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. In 2009-2010 Evan was a Judicial Intern for Senior U.S. District Court Judge Leonard D. Wexler of the Eastern District of New York.
Evan is actively engaged in service to his community where he was the Founder and Advisor of Ventura County Medical Explorer Post 2911 which is sponsored by Los Robles Medical Center. To that end, he is a Board Chair of the Medical Explorer Foundation, a 501(c)(3) whose mission is to advance medical education opportunities for youth.
Evan is enamored with his wife, Cristina, who puts up with his love for watching The Office on repeat, and his two rescue dogs, Peter and Annie, who watch the show with him. He can often be found engaging in academic debates with Samantha about dogs versus cats. Of course, dogs are best.
Currently, Evan is a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Law and the Managing Partner of Herrera Clifton Hess, PC.
- General Civil Litigation
- Real Property
- First Responders
- Business Law
- State Bar of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Central District of California
Achievements & Awards
- Pro Bono Service Award of Excellence, Hofstra Law School
- Advocate of the Year, Unemployment Action Center
- Junior Staff Member of the Year, Family Court Review, Hofstra Law School
- Eagle Scout, Scouting, BSA
- National Coach of the Year (Men’s Division: 2020; Women’s Division: 2018), National Collegiate Wrestling Association
- The Order of the Laurel and the Palm (Top <.5% of Graduating Seniors), University Southern California
- Learning for Life Leadership Award, Ventura County Council, Scouting, BSA
- National Medal of Merit, Scouting, BSA
- United States Congressional Award (Gold Medal)
- Founder & Advisor: Ventura County Medical Explorer Post 2911 (2018-2021)
- Chair of the Board: Medical Explorer Foundation
- Vice President, Board Member: Ventura County Council, Scouting BSA
- Medic, Camp Health Officer: Camp Three Falls, Ventura County Council, Scouting, BSA
- Head Coach: University of Southern California Wrestling Team
- Board Secretary: National Collegiate Wrestling Association